Valent U.S.A. Corporation was founded in 1988 through a joint venture between Sumitomo Chemical Company, Limited, a global leader in the discovery of crop protection, plant enhancement and other products for food, health and the environment, and Chevron Chemical Company.
- In 1991, Valent became a wholly owned subsidiary of Sumitomo Chemical Company, Limited.
- In 1994, Valent de Mexico was established.
- In 2001, Valent began marketing and selling plant growth regulators, bioinsecticides and other biorational products from Valent BioSciences Corporation—the former Ag Specialties Business Unit of Abbott Laboratories.
- In 2004, Valent becomes the Sumitomo Chemical Company regional headquarters of the Americas.
- In 2007 the Valent Canada - Crop and Professional Products office opened in Guelph to bring new innovation and technology to Canadian growers.
- In 2009, Valent U.S.A. Corporation and Valent BioSciences Corporation aligned under common leadership.